Trade Show Charging Stations: Where Increased Battery Life = Increased Sales
Trade shows often take place in large convention centers where WiFi networks are usually overloaded and electrical outlets are hard to find, especially in the middle of the floor amidst all the real action. They are also where money is exchanging hands and business is taking place in increasingly mobile-fueled situations. The need for commercial charging stations has never been greater for trade show organizers, as mobile devices are becoming the go-to solution for business transactions.
Keep Buyers on the Show Floor Longer
As an event organizer, one of your main priorities is to keep all buying attendees within the venue for as long as possible. The longer they are there, the more money they are likely to spend with your exhibitors. The more money your exhibitors make, the more likely they are to rebook a booth for your next show. It’s a win-win.
“I rarely stay at a trade show more than a couple of hours. I’m on my phone constantly, researching companies I might want to do business with, and if I don’t bring my own charging block, I’ll be out of juice fast. The last restaurant show I went to at the Javits Center, there were charging stations all over the floor — one every aisle, almost. I ended up staying for an entire day instead of just the morning like I’d intended.” Marcel, restaurant owner, New York
Other than providing food and beverages for your attendees throughout the day, having multiple places to charge their devices will help ensure they visit as many exhibitors as possible before your event wraps up.
Upsell Exhibitors with In-Booth Charging
Not only will you benefit your attendees by having charging stations readily available throughout the trade show floor, you can also boost your own bottom-line by up-selling branding space on the charging stations to exhibitors. In-booth, branded charging towers can help businesses better advertise their products to attendees while keeping buyers in their booths longer at the same time.
“The last show where I exhibited, I decided to try out the [Growcharge] Hub Video in my booth. It attracted a good crowd throughout the day, and I definitely had longer conversations with potential customers who stuck around to charge their phones. Year-over-year at this show my profits increased by 20%. I can say with certainty that the station had some part in that result.” Rebecca, jewelry designer, Wisconsin
Larger companies might consider an even more robust charging station option, like the Rockstar Charging Kiosk, with a capacity to charge eight cell phones and five tablets at a time, all while playing branded video content on the included video display. It’s a great way to increase your presence on the show floor with an ever-changing multimedia display.
Trade show floors vary in size and structure based on the type of show, as well as the convention center, hotel or space where the event is located. While not all of the following areas might make sense for every show, take them into consideration as several might work well for your event:
- Entrance: Immediately after a buyer comes through the doors and enters the event space, seeing a charging station will let them know they don’t have to worry about losing battery life as they get ready to wander the exhibitor booths.
- Aisle caps: By strategically placing a charging station at the end of your aisles, buyers will have to go down an entire aisle to get to them, seeing exhibitors they may want to engage with as they walk.
- Education or demo stations: If your trade show has areas where educational sessions or demonstrations are occurring throughout the day, don’t miss this key locale for one or more charging stations. These areas are going to attract dozens of people at a clip — what better time for them to take a break from their screen to charge up and pay attention to your speakers?
- Center hall: A centrally-located charging station with a map of the show floor on the screen is a great way to help people find interesting exhibitors while powering up at the same time.
- Near restrooms: Including a few mobile device charging stations near the restroom area is essential as buyers will need to use the facilities the longer they are on the show floor. Offering them a way to plug in their devices when they are already taking a break will up the chances that they’ll make their way back onto the show floor afterward, instead of heading outside of the venue to find another way to get their battery back in the green.
The Major Takeaways
- Charging stations keep buyers on the show floor longer so they don’t have to venture out of the convention center to find a way to charge their phones.
- Exhibitors often love the idea of branded charging towers or kiosks, allowing you to up-sell the devices to many businesses and increase your own bottom-line.
- Trade shows offer many logical and beneficial locations where stations can be placed, including aisle caps, central lobbies, outside restrooms, and near stages.
Charging solutions at trade shows are a necessity in the modern climate where people are conducting business directly off their phone, tablet or laptop. By offering a number of solutions throughout the show floor, you’ll be benefiting your business, event, and exhibitors all at the same time.